How to check where my car is registered
Requesting register information
Motochek is an internet service developed by the Transport Agency that enables people who use Motor Vehicle Register information in bulk or on a frequent basis, to access the information electronically. Detailed vehicle information and the names and addresses of companies and organisations that are or have been registered is available through Motochek. The names and addresses of individuals who are currently registered are available through Motochek to people who have been granted an authorisation by the Ministry of Transport.
Application for registered person name and address (MR31)
Personal information is protected
The personal information we hold on the register is protected by privacy laws. For that reason, if you need somebody’s personal information from us, you must have a very good reason for asking for it.
We have a duty to:
- protect personal information
- release personal information only where the public interest (the benefit for the common good or general welfare of all) outweighs the personal interest of the person requesting the information and the privacy rights of the individual.
Your application may be declined
- your application is likely to be declined if you see a vehicle you like and you want to approach the owner to make an offer to buy it. A person who wants to sell their vehicle will make that fact known without needing to be approached about it.
We may direct you to another organisation
- we’re likely to direct you to another organisation if your vehicle is involved in an accident and you need to contact the owner of the other vehicle. Vehicle accidents are a matter for the police and they can access the same information. Your insurance company also has access to the same information to work on any insurance issues.
The application fee is non-refundable
Request for motor vehicle details (MR32)
Requests for motor vehicle details including details of companies and organisations who are or have been registered can be made by downloading a request for motor vehicle details form. The form is posted to the Transport Agency who will then provide you with the following information:
- name and address of companies and organisations who are and have been previously registered
- engine number
- New Zealand registration date
- licence (rego) expiry date
- odometer readings (current and historic)
- dates of change of registered person.
A fee of $15 is payable.
Registered person confirmation
You can confirm whether someone is the registered person online, you’ll need the vehicle’s number plate, the name and date of birth of the person or their driver licence number. There is no charge for this service and a result is returned immediately.
Stolen vehicle check
When a vehicle is reported as stolen to police, the Motor Vehicle Register is updated from the police system to show the vehicle has been reported stolen. You can submit an online request to check if the police have been advised a vehicle has been reported as stolen. There is no charge for this service and you get an immediate result.
Some Motor Vehicle Register information can be sourced through third parties who include the information with their vehicle information reports. The process and cost of requesting these reports is determined by the relevant third party.