#Can #i #check #my #car #registration #online
Can i check my car registration online
Registration Renewal in New Jersey
Get free quotes from the nation’s biggest auto insurance prov > Recommended
New Jersey Registration Renewal Notice
- Your renewal fee (see below)
- Your registration renewal due date
- Your personal identification number (PIN), if eligible for online renewal
- An enclosed envelope for renewing by mail
Didn’t Receive a NJ Registration Renewal Notice?
If you didn’t receive a registration renewal notice, you can still renew in person (see below). If you’d like to learn why you didn’t receive your notice, contact the MVC by e-mail or calling (609) 292-6500.
Have you recently moved? Make sure the MVC has your new address on file, otherwise future MVC correspondence will be sent to your old address.
NJ Registration Renewal
NOTE: If you are not the owner listed on the title of your vehicle (i.e. leased vehicles) you may need to obtain legal permission to complete your registration renewal with a Power of Attorney from your leasing company. The Power of Attorney must be an original copy from the titled owner and include:
- The name of the lessee.
- A statement of authorization.
- The VIN, year, make and model of your vehicle.
Renew in Person
- Proper identification.
- One of the following documents:
―NJ registration renewal notice.
―Current registration certificate.
―License plate number.
- Proof of car insurance.
- Cash, check, money order or credit card (American Express, Visa, MasterCard) to pay renewal fee.
- Your PIN
- Your Social Security number
- Proof of car insurance
- Credit card information (American Express, Visa, MasterCard) to cover registration renewal costs.
NOTE: If you recently moved, you’ll need to update your address before renewing. You will not be able to renew online if the date on the renewal noticed has passed. If you have lost your PIN, and your renewal notice hasn’t expired, you can call the MVC at (609) 292-6500 for your PIN.
Renew by Mail
If you’ve lost the enclosed envelope, mail to:
NOTE: It will take at least a week for the MVC to receive and process your application. If your registration is close to expiring, consider renewing in person for same-day service. Contact the NJ MVC to check the status of your registration renewal order.
New Jersey Registration Renewal Fees
Discount Renewal Fees
Late Fees or Penalties
The New Jersey MVC does not charge a late fee for renewing your NJ plates after they expire. This does not mean, however, that you’re free to renew whenever you choose. If you are caught driving with expired plates, you will be ticketed.
NJ Registration Renewal for Military Members
You do not have to renew your registration as long as you’re an active member of the armed forces. This includes the National Guard and Reserves. Be sure to carry the military Extension Letter Administrative Order and military identification showing your active status while driving.
Service-Disabled and Blind Veterans in New Jersey
- You’re without eyesight due to combat and are eligible for state compensation under N.J.S.A. 38:18-1
- You currently have another combat-related disability and have qualified for a free car from the Veterans Administration (VA) and:
―You possess a valid NJ driver’s license
―Your vehicle has been modified for safe operation
―You have auto insurance coverage
Send the completed application with the seal or stamp of the VA to your local MVC office, or mail application to:
- Government Unit
- P.O. Box 016
- Trenton, NJ 08666
NJ Armed Forces Car Registration Refund
- A Request for Refund letter explaining that you want a refund because of your military status.
- Proof of your active military status.
- A completed Refund Application (Form RU-9). If you can’t download it, call (609) 292-6500 or (609) 292-6500 to request an application be sent to you.
- The car’s original title.
- The car’s license plates.
NJ Emissions Inspection
Typically, vehicles registered in NJ must be tested every 2 years, but there are a number of exemptions. For more on this, visit our Emissions page.
NOTE: The NJ MVC does not send smog check reminders. It’s your responsibility to know when your emissions sticker expires.
New Jersey Liability Insurance
Replacement NJ Registration Certificates, Stickers, and License Plates
You will need to apply for replacement NJ license plates if they’re no longer legible or have gone missing.
NOTE: The NJ MVC no longer issues license plate stickers.
Related Products and Services
DMV.ORG Insurance Finder
One Distraction Can Steal Your Reaction
Do your part to help end distracted driving.